We're just wrapping up our first class. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I see the possibilities of all of this technology. I just need time to figure this all out, work with it, ponder and consider.
I also wonder if this is really bringing us closer together or giving us more fences to keep from real personal interaction.
I also wonder where all of this (technology) is going. I feel much more like my 90-year-old dad ("What have I gotten myself into? Where the heck are we going? What's going on? Who are you? Why are we in this basket?") than the thirty-four-year-old GenX-er that I am.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you about being overwhelmed. I feel like I am learning a new language. I hate feeling inadequate, like I am feeling right now.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on that. It can be quite concerning trying to do this, but we're in it together!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm in good company! Somebody please just tell me what to click on!
ReplyDeleteI found your posting thought provoking (& odly comforting as I am closer in age to your father than to you, Mr. Gen X. I have similar concerns (perhaps because my favorite part of teaching is the face to face interaction with my students). Nonetheless, like yu, I am exciting about trying on this new "costume" to see how it feels. Who knows? I may love being a blogger.
ReplyDeleteI think it's the train thing...if you don't get on, it's going to pass you by. I'm amazed at how much of this technology the kids are already using. I, too am afraid it is becoming too impersonal, on the other hand it will hopefully allow more interaction and include those who otherwise would not speak up-if they can figure out "how"! That's what this is all about. ;-)(Merey's mom)
ReplyDeleteI get that we need to keep up but I've already tried several things: voice threads, podcasting, glogs and it's like pulling teeth to get the kids to actually interact on them. Are we using all of this for technology's sake or to get the kids to think more creatiely. I like Cheryl am closer in age to your father so this is really daunting to me.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to the question of whether technology brings us closer or puts up personal fences, you did have supportive comments posted from Jill (ME), Sandy (TP), and Nancy (DP). Your blog has already connected you with others outside of your typical daily circle. :)
ReplyDelete